- “The girl next door is instantly transformed into a drop-dead gorgeous bombshell. Can she embrace her new look and still stay true to herself?”
- —Jumanji movie website
Ruby Roundhouse is one of the five selectable playable characters in the Video Game version of "JUMANJI", that appears in "Welcome to the Jungle" and "The Next Level", as the chosen avatar of Martha Kaply.
Ruby Roundhouse is described as a killer of men in the game. Her symbol on the player select screen is a karate fighter, reflecting her role as a fighter.
|"Strength" / "Weakness"||Welcome to the Jungle||The Next Level||Description|
|"Acrobatics"||She is a talented acrobat and gymnast. (Not listed)|
|"Karate"||She is an expert in karate.|
|"Tai'Chi"||She is an expert in tai'chi.|
|"Aikido"||She is an expert in aikido.|
|"Dance Fighting"||This ability is activated whenever the song, "Baby I Love Your Way" by Big Mountain plays.|
|"Nunchucks"||She is an expert in wielding nunchucks.|
|"Venom"||Venom is instantly fatal to her. It takes up to 10 seconds before the venom kills her.|
- Ruby Roundhouse is a homage to popular video game heroine, Lara Croft of the Tomb Raider series.
- Her weakness of snake venom is a homage to the character and film series of Indiana Jones, who also inspired the character of Lara Croft, Smolder Bravestone (even wearing a fedora hat in concept photos) and the cinematic adventure feel of the movie. Near the end of the movie, Ruby actually used her weakness to her strategic advantage when she was cornered by Professor Van Pelt.
- Her ability of "Dance Fighting" is somewhat misleading, the martial art Capoeira is often referred to as dance fighting, while Roundhouse's ability is just fighting to the music.
- Her symbol on the closing credits next to her actress's credit is Snakes, referencing her weakness of Venom. A stereo is also on the closing credits, referencing her dance-fighting ability.
- When the trailers first came out, Ruby's outfit created some sort of controversy. Karen Gillan who played Ruby in the movie, admitted that the costume was too sexual; but she exclaimed in an interview, that was the point. She wouldn't have done the movie and worn the costume if there was no point attached to it, and a different actress would've been cast as the avatar. Due to how much skin her outfit exposed, Gillan suffered from mosquito bites and was unable to wear bug repellant due to it causing her spray tan to get runny.
- Shailene Woodley was originally cast as Ruby Roundhouse/Martha, but had to drop out of the film due to scheduling conflicts with Big Little Lies (2017). Thus, Karen Gillan was cast instead.